Do not forget the tomatoes!
I know I am a little late for this post. In fact, three weeks late. It is October, and tomato season has passed the corner. However, if you still have a few batches of tomatoes as I know I would in my parents' backyard in Georgia, you can try this short and sweet recipe.
The inspiration comes from the hospitable staff at The Cavalier in Lynchburg, VA. They were giving away home grown tomatoes and I could not let them go to waste. It is a little bit of summer and fall combined with its dressing of bacon fat, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. It is a salad to most certainly melt in your mouth.
Give it a try if you have a few tomatoes left in your house, if not it is definitely worth saving for next season!
Tomato Bacon Salad with Blue Cheese
1 12 oz package of apple smoked bacon
6 small to medium heirloom tomatoes
1-2 heads of Boston lettuce
1 8oz package of blue cheese
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T sugar
1 T water
1. Cook all slices of bacon over the stove stop. Remove slices and set aside to cool. Preserve all dressing and set aside to cool.
2. While the dressing is cooling, wash and cut the tomatoes in quarters. You can cut them smaller if you prefer.
3. Wash and cut the head of lettuce. Mix with the tomatoes.
4. Add the blue cheese to the salad.
5. Add the apple cider vinegar, sugar and water to the cooled dressing and stir until blended and sugar has dissolved.
6. Cut cooled bacon slices and add them to the salad.
7. Pour onto the salad or save on the side for guests to use sparingly.