Vanilla Takes the Cake!
I do not want to keep the suspense much longer, so I am proud to announce that my vanilla Better than Sex Cake won the popular vote in my taste test party last weekend. The chocolate version was irresistible, do not get me wrong, but more people found the vanilla version much more satisfying and addicting. The vanilla version turned out to have a distinctively sweeter flavor and a texture to be twice as moist as the chocolate version. The simple combination of pineapple, vanilla cake, pudding, whipped cream, and coconut can make you become addicted faster than you finish your first piece. Yes, your first piece.
The following recipe is the winner and our loser, the chocolate version if you want to see for yourself. Do not get us wrong, for we loved the chocolate. I even replaced the caramel with peanut butter sauce due to an accident I had while trying to make my own caramel. Let me say it was a happy accident.
Now, did we think the vanilla version was actually better than sex? No, but the cake was definitely good enough for comparison.
Better Than Sex Cake (Vanilla)
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix without pudding1 can (20 ounces)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Package (6 ounces) Vanilla Pudding Mix (not instant)
1 Carton (9 ounces) Frozen Whipped Topping, Thawed or Whipped Cream
3/4 Cup Coconut
- Prepare cake by package directions.
- Transfer batter into a 9-by-3-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees until cake tests done, about 30 minutes.
- While cake is in oven, combine the undrained pineapple and sugar. Heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove cake from oven and, using a toothpick, punch holes all over surface of cake. Ladle pineapple mixture over cake.
- Make pudding by package directions. When it is thick, spoon it over cake.
- Chill cake well.
- To serve, top slices with whipped topping or cream and a generous sprinkle of coconut. Keep cake refrigerated.
From the blog, This Old State http://jackbetts.blogspot.com/2006/11/ruth-easterlings-better-than-sex-cake.html .
Better Than Sex Cake (Chocolate)
German Chocolate Cake or Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1 Can Condensed Milk
1 Cup Peanut Butter
Whipped Topping or Cream
3 Heath bars
- Prepare Chocolate Cake from instructions on box.
- While the cake is still hot, with the handle of a wooden spoon poke several holes in the top.
- Into these and over the top pour the condensed milk and peanut butter.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Spread the container of whipped topping or cream on top and finish off with 3 crushed Heath bars.
From Team Sugar http://teamsugar.com/